A. Executive Committee
The leadership consists of positions chosen from the following:
5. Drum Majors / Band Captains
6. Color Guard Captains
7. Instrumental Captains (brass, woodwind, percussion)
8. Squad Leaders
1. Scheduled by the director. Meetings may happen prior to or following rehearsals on occasion.
Please be aware of this.
2. May be requested by its members when the need arises.
3. The duties of the committee are to have discussions, share views, and make decisions on issues concerning the
organization from the student perspective. Meetings are official when everyone is notified 48 hours prior to the meeting.
4. If anyone misses three meetings without reasonable excuses, he/she will be relieved of his/her position.
5. This committee, with the band director may also meet with the school principal to discuss major concerns.
C. Selection of leaders
1. Appointment of officers will occur during the month of May or June.
2. Interested candidates will have been considered by written (email) application.
3. Candidates for each position will have had an interview with the director and/or with a panel of staff members.
4. The director and the designated staff panel will have appointed officers by early June.
5. Exchange of officers will occur by the first rehearsal of the new season.
D. Relieved from duty
1. A student may be relieved from duty if he/she is not fulfilling his/her responsibility of that office. This will occur only
after the director has had a conference with the student regarding his/her performance. If the situation does not
improve, the director may request the leadership meet to review the situation. The student may be relieved and the
position declared vacant should the leadership vote by a majority. Any candidates for a vacant office will be selected in
the same manner stated above.
E. Duties and responsibilities
1. PRESIDENT: Responsible for informing the band of fundraisers, performances, and other activities - Preside over all
executive committee meetings and band meetings - Initiate phone list calls – In the absence of the drum majors during
marching band season, should assume the role of student leader - Must be going into Junior or Senior year and be a
member of the marching band.
2. VICE-PRESIDENT: Preside over meetings in absence of the President - Aid the director in mailing form letters and
compiles the yearly scrapbook – Must be going into Junior or Senior year and be a member of the marching band.
3. SECRETARY: Assist the director with clerical procedures at all band rehearsals - Record minutes of meetings - Aids
in preparation of band correspondence - Must be going into Sophomore, Junior, or Senior year and be a member of the
4. TREASURER: Assist the director and/or assistant director with fundraising - Acts as liaison to students as to their
individual account totals - Must be going into Sophomore, Junior, or Senior year and be a member of the marching
5. COLOR GUARD CAPTAIN - Represents all members of the color guard - Responsible for taking attendance - Assists
the director in activities regarding the color guard - Serves as liaison between the color guard sections, the color guard
instructors, and the band director.
6. DRUM MAJORS - Serve as the student leaders of the band on and off the field - Responsible for individual and group
performances - Represent the director with his/her leadership, showmanship, and teaching ability.
7. ENSEMBLE CAPTAINS/SQUAD LEADERS: Selected on the basis of musical ability, leadership, and attendance -
Responsible for taking attendance of the section and reporting this to the assistant director - Conduct sectional
rehearsals - Complete phone calls when necessary - Must attend all leadership meetings which become official when
everyone is notified 48 hours prior to the meeting. If anyone misses three meetings without reasonable excuses, he/she
will be relieved of his/her position.
8. LIBRARIANS: In charge of the distribution and collection of music –
Records improper maintenance of flip-folders and all other related music library equipment and music. Librarians will
also be responsible for checking in drill shirts at the conclusion of the season.
9. MANAGERS: Responsible for the management of band equipment to and from rehearsals and certain trips - Must
maintain a checklist of all equipment transported.